The school was built in 1903, and is named after a very successful local mill owner who lived in Patricroft Eccles, when he died he left money in his will to support the local community.
Godfrey Ermen headed the distinguished cotton firm, Ermen & Engels, located at the Victoria Mill in Weaste and also had other mills in Eccles and Patricroft which formed part of the Ermen & Engels company. The Ermen cotton business was started by the three Ermen brothers, Peter, Anthony and Godfrey. The three Ermen brothers went into partnership with a German cotton manufacturer, Friedrich Engels (Snr.) forming the company Ermen & Engels.
Godfrey Ermen died in 1899, and in his Will, running to 28 pages, made provision for over 50 of his relatives. More importantly for us, he instructed the residue of his estate to be used for the benefit of any charitable or educational worthwhile endeavour. Presumably the Godfrey Ermen School in Eccles was one such beneficiary.
The will appointed Frank Ermen and Arthur Godfrey Roby as the Trustees of the estate, and instructed them to dispose of the residue (about £200,000) within ten years of his death for, among other things, “the benefit of any charitable philanthropic literary or educational institution . . . or in the formation and maintenance of hospitals, libraries, baths, wash-houses, model cottages, and generally in support of any object which may seem worthy of encouragement and assistance.”
If you would like to share any information about Godfrey Ermen or the hostory of the school, please use the contact form on this website, we would love to learn more and share it with the local community.